Dr. Roland Barbosa
Assitant Professor of Chemistry
Ph. (409) 880-8342
Fax (409) 880-8270
My research focuses in addressing the molecular and dynamic aspects of surfaces that impacts real-world problems particularly in the areas of catalysis, corrosion and remediation. The research tools include a variety of overlapping fields of spectroscopy, physical chemistry, surface science, nanomaterials and material science. The approach is to develop novel materials that are particularly interesting in the above fields, and obtain a complete fundamental understanding of the relationships of its structure, composition and properties using various analytical techniques while at the same time exploring and developing specific properties for future applications.
- Greg Collinge, Yizhi Xiang, Roland Barbosa, Jean-Sabin McEwen and Norbert Kruse, “CO-Induced Inversion of the Layer Sequence of a CoCu Model Catalyst,” Surface Science, 2016, 648, 74-83. Special issue dedicated to Gabor Somorjai's 80th birthday.
- S.P. Chenakin, R. Szukiewicz, R. Barbosa and N. Kruse, “Surface Analysis of Transition Metal Oxalates: Damage Aspects,” J. Electron Spectrosc. Relat. Phenom., 2016, 209, 66-77.
- Yizhi Xiang, Roland Barbosa and Norbert Kruse, “Higher Alcohols through CO Hydrogenation over CoCu Catalysts: Influence of Precursor Activation,” ACS Catal., 2014, 4, 2792–2800.
- R.L. Barbosa, V. Papaefthimiou, Y.T. Law, D. Teschner, M. Hävecker, A. Knop-Gericke, R. Zapf, G. Kolb, R. Schlögl and S. Zafeiratos, “ Methanol Steam Reforming over Indium-Promoted Pt/Al2O3 Catalyst: The Nature of the Active Surface,” J. Phys. Chem. C, 2013, 117, 6143-6150.
- W. Baaziz, S. Begin-Colin, B. P. Pichon, I. Florea, O. Ersen, S. Zafeiratos, R. L. Barbosa, D. Begin and C. Pham-Huu “High Density Monodisperse Cobalt Nanoparticles (NPs) Filling of Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes,” Chem. Mater. Commun. 2012, 24, 1549-1551.
- W. Lu, R. L. Barbosa, E. Clarke, K. Eyink, L. Grazulis, W. Mitchel, and J. J. Boeckl,” Interface Oxidative Structural Transitions in Graphene Growth on SiC (0001),” J. Phys. Chem. C, 2012, 116, 15342-15347.