Office : Lucas 203
Phone Number : 880-8800
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours : TR 10:30-12:00; 3:45-4:15
Ph. D. Mathematics The University of Texas at Arlington, 1983
M.A. Mathematics The University of Texas at Arlington, 1980
B.S. Applied Mathematics National Chung-Hsing University, 1974
Lamar University, Professor of Mathematics
Lamar University, Associate Professor of Mathematics
Lamar University, Assistant Professor of Mathematics
East Texas State University, Visiting Assistant Professor
University of Texas at Arlington, Assistant Instructor
Member of Pi Mu Epsilon, American Statistical Association, Institute of Mathematical Statistics
Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Probability and Statistical Science (http://www.i-tel.com.tw/jpss/)
Editorial Board Member, Applications and Applied Mathematics: An International Journal
Associate Editor, Journal of Statistical Research
Courses Taught at Lamar
Undergraduate: Survey of Mathematics I, College Algebra, Precalculus Mathematics, Survey of Mathematics II, Trigonometry, Mathematics for Business Applications, Discrete Mathematics, Calculus and Analytic Geometry I, Calculus and Analytic Geometry II, Elementary Statistics, Calculus I, Introduction to the Theory of Statistical Inference, Regression Analysis, Theory of Statistical Inference
Graduate: Design of Experiments, Fourier Series, Regression Analysis, Reliability, Statistical Inference
Areas of Research Interest
Bayesian Statistics, Conditional Estimation, Empirical Bayes, Reliability, Shrinkage Estimation, Receptor Modeling in Air Pollution
- Dyer, D. and P. Chiou (1984), “An Information-Theoretic Approach to Incorporating Prior Information in Binomial Sampling,” Communications in Statistics, Vol. 13, 2051-2083.
- Chiou, P. (1987), “A Preliminary Test Estimator of Reliability in a Life-Testing Model,” IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Vol. 36, 408-410.
- Chiou, P. (1989), “On the Choice of a Dirichlet Prior Distribution for Multinomial Distribution,” Bulletin of the Greek Mathematical Society, Vol. 30, 93-103.
- Chiou, P. (1993), “Empirical Bayes Shrinkage Estimation of Reliability in the Exponential Distribution,” Communications in Statistics: Theory and Methods, Vol. 22, 1483-1494.
- Chiou, P. and C.-P. Han (1995), “Conditional Interval Estimation of the Exponential Location Parameter Following Rejection of a Pre-Test,” Communications in Statistics: Theory and Methods, Vol. 24, 1481-1492.
- Chiou, P. and C.-P. Han (1996), “Estimation of Error Variance in One-Way Random Model,” Metrika, Vol. 44(1), 41-51.
- Chiou, P. and C.-P. Han (1999), "Conditional Interval Estimation of the Ratio of Variance Components Following Rejection of a Pre-Test," Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, Vol. 63, 105-119.
- Chiou, P. (2003), “Confidence Bounds of Scale Parameters Using Pilot Samples,” Journal of Statistical Research, Vol. 37, No. 1, 21-29.
- Chiou, P. and W. Miao (2005), “Shrinkage Estimation for the Difference between Exponential Guarantee Time Parameters”, Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Vol. 48, 489-507.
- Chiou, P. and W. Miao (2007), “Shrinkage Estimation for the Difference between a Control and Treatment Mean,” Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, Vol. 77(8), 651-662.
- Chiou, P. et al. (2008), “Atmospheric Aerosols over Two Sites in a Southeastern Region of Texas,” Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 86, 421-435.
- Chiou, P. et al. (2009), “Atmospheric Aerosol over a Southwestern Region of Texas,” Environmental Modeling and Assessment, Vol. 14(5), 645-659.